NOUN FAQs – What You Should Know Before Applying For NOUN Admission 2020

On this page, we share everything you need to know about National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) and Frequently asked questions with Answers about NOUN and NOUN Admission 2020. It’s advisable for you to read this article from A-Z before obtaining NOUN admission Form.

READ:- How To Apply For National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Admission 2020


Student orientation programme is done at their various NOUN Study Centres. All fresh students are required to undergo an orientation programme prior to their registration. The programme is intended to acquaint the students with the whole range of services and privileges available to them as well as their responsibilities as members of an academic community. Regulations require satisfactory completion of the orientation before matriculation in the University.

The University’s registration system is computerized and so most of
the registration exercise is online. Each student is provided with
internet access, user name(Matric Number) and password to log on the registration portal of the University website(
For fresh students, the registration procedures include participation in
interview and screening exercise where credentials are screened for authenticity. It also includes payment of relevant fees for both fresh
and returning students.

The University’s academic year comprises of
two semesters. Each student is assigned an academic adviser during
the registration exercise in the Department. It is important for students to get proper advice from their assigned Academic Adviser, regarding the number and relevance of the courses to register for.
To be accepted as a bonafide student, eligible to attend lectures as the case may be and take examinations, the student must duly register within the stipulated period for all prescribed courses at the beginning of each semester.

Any student who fails to duly register within the specified time period will missed the semester.

Is entertained only based on university policy and conditions such could be when a student falls sick or suffers an accident after registering for a programme in the University. Such a student would apply with relevant medical report to the Dean of his/her Faculty through the Head of the Department for deferment of a semester or
sessions as the case may be to enable him/her fully recover. To defer admission, you are required to write to the Registrar though the Study Centre Director with evidence of your admission and course registration.

Registered Students who wish to change their Programme of Study
process it via their respective study centers. The students download the required form via their Study Centres and process it through their
respective Study Centres. SEE NOUN Procedure For Change of Course/Programme

Students who were wrongly admitted to a programme can seek
counsel from the school counselor.


A Student who wants to make changes to his/her registered courses
after completion of his/her registration shall do so on prescribed
Add/Drop forms. This provides students’ the opportunity to delete
(drop), add or substitute courses he/she has previously registered for
during the current registration exercise. The change(s) become
effective after approval by the HOD. Under no circumstance should a
student just abandon a course he/she has registered for or attend lectures and/or sit for examinations of course(s) for which he/she has not duly registered without first having his/her change(s) approved
through the Add/Drop forms.

The registration portal opens at the beginning of every semester and closes before the commencement of continuous assessment. Once the portal is closed, you will not be able to register for courses for the semester until it opens again for the next semester. This means that students who were unable to register for their courses before the closure of the course registration portal are Not Eligible to take the
TMA and examinations for the course(s).

You are not allowed to re-register for a course that you have already

Each academic staff prepares questions based on available materials.
More often than not, senior members of staff internally moderate items and marking schemes prepared by junior ones and enlighten them the more with regards to phraseology, clarity and content of each course. Then the questions are passed on to the examination coordinator for the Faculty, who then sends them to the Directorate for Examinations and Assessment of the University.
The academic staff and, in some cases, invited experts in relevant fields, prepare both tutor-marked assessment (TMA) questions and end of semester examination (ESE) questions. These are further internally moderated with the accompanying marking schemes before they are given to the students. The TMAs are 3 in number; students are required to answer all and have them graded. The TMAs
constitute 30% of the course final grade and also serve as the continuous assessment for the course. The question papers for the
final year students are moderated by an external examiner before the questions are administered. The end of semester exams (ESE) constitutes 70%. Apart from the earlier examinations conducted in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 respectively, all recent ESE for the 100 and 200 level students have been conducted online. The conduct of the end of semester examination is usually carried out at the
various study centres. The University has in place guidelines for conduct of examinations. Results are issued after Senate ratification of the semester results.

Continuous assessments in NOUN are automated in the form of computer-marked assignments and are administered online. They are uploaded onto students‟ portals subject to the students‟ registration for the course. The TMAs comprise four (3) sets of 10 Multiple
Choice Questions (MCQ), totaling 30 MCQs. Students are expected to answer all the question items. They can access the TMAs in their
portals from any location via the Internet. The three (3) TMAs are automatically graded upon submission and you receive feedback on their performance in form of a score. The TMA
is an important component, constituting 30% of the final score in a course. It is important to note that any student without TMA
scores will not have any score for that course. Learn more about NOUN TMA see NOUN Portal TMA Login Procedure for New and Returning Students 2019 and Top 11 Things You Need To Know About NOUN TMA

Two types of examinations are employed at the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN). They are the eExaminations and the
Pen-on-Paper (PoP) examinations. The examinations are conducted at the end of every semester at the Study Centres or any other location as may be arranged by the Study Centres. For undergraduate and postgraduate students,
the examinations account for 70% of the total score for the course.

This a computer-based examination administered at 100 and 200 levels only. The examinations comprise MCQs and Fill- in- the Gaps
(FBQs) question types. The number of questions per course is according to the credit units of a course. To Learn more about NOUN e-exam see NOUN E-Exam Tips For Freshers and Download NOUN E-exam Past Questions and answers

PoP examinations are written based examinations administered in a face-to-face context to 300 level students and above. The number of questions per course is according to the credit units of the course.

As it is for course registration, students must also register for examinations they wish to undertake. The portal for examination registration opens alongside the course registration portal. Students
who do not register for examinations will not be allowed to write examinations in the relevant course.

NOUN offers two semesters of study per year.

The University has put a policy in place to guide requests for remarking of scripts and re-computation of results. The provisions of
this policy can be found on “Policy of Re-Marking of Students’ Examination Scripts and Re-computation of Results” For instance,
a student who wishes to request for the re-marking of his/her script(s) must appeal within 30 days from the date of publication of the results.
There is a fee per course for this service. Students
should familiarise themselves with the procedures before making
requests for the re-marking of their scripts.

Study Centres are central to the students‟ learning activities in open
and distance learning context. They are the first stop for specific information about your degree programme. NOUN has over seventy
Study Centres spread across the country that are equipped with
facilities and support services such as library, computers, reading
facilities, and student counselors. Students are encouraged to make use of these facilities and services at their Study Centres.

A core or compulsory course is one which every student must compulsorily take and pass in any particular programme at a particular level of study.

An elective is a course that students take within or outside the faculty.
Students may graduate without passing the course provided the minimum credit unit for the course had been attained.

✔Compulsory courses are courses which must be offered and passed before graduation. These courses are marked compulsory or ‘C’ in the list of courses to be registered each semester. They must be registered before registering any elective courses.
✔Elective courses are courses which a student chose from a number of optional courses in the list
of courses of the semester.
Electives are courses you can choose, while compulsory courses are the ones you must study to
complete your degree. Electives, when added to the compulsory courses, make up the total number of units needed to complete your degree. Elective courses are usually labeled Elective of ‘E’.


Frequently Asked Questions About National Open University Of Nigeria

1. Question: I need to know the payment breakdown.
Answer: You can view the fees schedule by clicking on the following link National Open University Nigeria NOUN School Fees For New and Returning Students 2020

2. Question: How do I apply for a programme in NOUN?
Answer: Read procedure for application by clicking the following link How To Apply For National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) Admission 2020

See also  How To Take NOUN Virtual Exams - Step By Step Guide

3. Question: How much is a course material?
Answer: You can view the fees schedule by clicking on the following  National Open University Nigeria NOUN School Fees For New and Returning Students 2020

4. Question: How long does NOUN Programme take?
Answer: Depending on the Programme you are running with NOUN. However, you can visit your study centre or nearest study centre for detailed information.

5. Question: If graduated in NOUN, will NYSC mobilize me for the 1 Year compulsary Young Service Scheme?
Answer: Management is about completing discussion with stakeholders on this issue.

6. Question: Who will process the admission forms?
Answer: NOUN will process the forms and admit student directly by itself.

7. Question: What is the cost of the admission forms?
Answer: The cost of the form is 5,000 Naira.

8. Question: What are the courses to be offered?
Answer: NOUN offered courses in Agricultural Sciences, Arts, Education, Health Sciences, Law, Management Sciences, Science and Social Sciences. See List Of Courses Offered in National Open University Of Nigeria (NOUN) 2020

10. Question: How long will it take me to complete my course?
Answer: The duration will be dependent on how long a student takes to accumulate the requisite number of credits needed for a final award. For example, a student shall require at least 120,90,60,35 and 70 credit units to earn an award for the Bachelor Degree, Post graduate Diploma, Diploma, Certificate and Masters Degree certificate respectively.

11. Question: Will the course be part-time?
Answer: Depending upon the time available to you and your workload, you can combine work and your studies or you can study full time and progress at your own rate.

12. Question: Will my certificate be comparable with thos from conventional universities?
Answer: Yes. NOUN certificate will in no way be inferior to those awarded by conventional universities since the same body National Universities Commission, sets the minimum standard.

13. Question: How will the students be taught?
Answer: NOUN will deliver instructions through the following:
1. Printed Materials
2. Audio/Video tapes
3. Radio and Television broadcasts.
4. CD-ROMS; and
5. Internet (Where appropriate).

14. Question: Will NEPA problem not affect the delivery of NOUN programmes?
Answer: NOUN will have standby generators in all the study centres.

15. Question: How will NOUN students be assisted and guided in their studies?
Answer: The students can come to the study centres where they will meet other students; and Instructional and Tutorial Facilitators who will deal with and solve their problem.


1. Please sir, I just paid for d compulsory fee today, and I need to do my course registration, to my surprise am seeing about 24 courses, Do I register all of them, and besides its too much for me?

ANS: The 24 courses are a combination of the 1st and second semester courses. It’s normal to see them there. To differentiate, look at the front of each course, you will see a column where they wrote “first” (meaning 1st Semester course) or “second” (meaning 2nd Semester course).

Other notable columns are the ones that tell you the unit of each course (which could either be 1, 2, 3 or 6 and another column showing you the amount to be paid for each course respectively.

2. I have registered my 13 courses but I haven’t registered any of my exams, but now I feel I won’t be able to go on with all the 13 courses, can I unregister some courses?

ANS: You don’t need to drop any courses since you will still do them later (being compulsory). Since you have not done your exam registration, I advise you to register only the courses you feel you are ready to write exams for, and leave the others till another semester when you feel you would be ready to write them.

If peradventure you have even already registered the exams and you wish to drop any of the already registered courses, or perhaps you mistakenly clicked and register a course that you are not supposed to register, what you need to do is to visit the IT department of your study centre and go with a printout of the registration slip. You may be required to sign beside the courses you wish to drop and after the due process, they will drop the courses for you and the money you paid in registering each of the courses will be returned into your portal.

Students cannot drop courses by themselves, they have to visit IT department at the study centre to do so.

3. Is it true that the study centre gives out free study materials to people that have finished their registrations?

The study centre gives students study materials as long as they are available, regardless of whether you pay on time or not. Of course those that pay on time are most likely to get more materials than those that paid late because the school may likely run out of stocks or fall short of supply eventually.

Different departments have different days assigned for collection of course materials. For the students of the school of science and technology, their collection day is Mondays, Management sciences students get theirs every Tuesdays and so on for the other departments.

But mind you, you may not be able to get all of them. For reasons best known to the school, students usually don’t get the complete set of books as supposed, and that is the reason why many of them patronize vendors to purchase the printed or photocopied ones.

However, 99% of all your courses are available online on the NOUN website. To download course materials, pls log on to and select your faculty to load your courses. You may download them to your tab, phone, laptop or any suitable devices in PDF format.

4. Is it the responsibility of the study center to provide ID card for us?

ANS: The school makes the ID card available on your portal, it is up to you to download it and print it out. You could make them in plastic form or laminated form. I am sure that there are some guys at the study centre who can help you with this. Learn How To Print National Open University Of Nigeria NOUN Student ID Card

The ID card updates semester by semester so you might have to check the validity to know the expiry date so that you download the latest. Basically, you may have to download and print a new one every academic session or every semester (depending on  the expiry date written on it).

5. Can I change my study center? I registered in Lagos but when I got to 200 Level, I had to relocate. Can I change d study center?

ANS: Yes you can change study centre! NOUN Requirement For Change Of Study Centre, Statement Of Result, Academic Transcript, Change Of Program e.t.c

All you need is to write a letter to the Registrar through the Study centre manager. In your letter, indicate your name, current study centre, department, current level and semester, matric number and other relevant information about yourself. You will also indicate the new study centre you wish to transfer to. You may state the reason for your intention. After submitting, you will be required to fill a form which will be acknowledged by the study centre director. After this, your file will be located and given to you (those documents you submitted to the school when you were processing your admission). You will go to the new study centre and submit the file along side with any documents that you were given and then they will take you up from there.

To know if you have been successfully transferred, log into your portal and you will find out that the name has been changed to the name of the new study centre you applied for.


If you still do not wish to change your study centre, but for any reasons you are not going to be around for the exams at your current, you may apply to write your exam in another study centre close to where you would be. For instance, if your study centre is Agidingbi and you have cause to travel to Kaduna during the exams, you may just write to the study centre director, applying for permission to write in another study centre. The director would then issue you an acknowledgment letter which will cover you in the other study centre.

All students in ever centre write the same examination. Provided you have the letter that covers you, you can write your exams anywhere and your result will be released normally like other people’s results too. This especially works better for students writing e-exams. It is somewhat not advisable for students writing pen on paper exams (I personally believe there could eventually be

6. Can I do my courses and exam registration and hold on for the compulsory fee? Or do I have to pay the compulsory fee together with the course registration? Please i just want to know to go about the payments.

ANS: Just as I explained in the answer to Question 11, the moment you pay money into your portal, it will automatically deduct the compulsory fee and leave the remaining balance for you to do other stuffs like course and exam registration. The fact is that you simply can’t pay any amount below the compulsory fee as the payment platform (Remita) would not even allow it. You can only pay exactly the compulsory fee or any amount above it. That is the way the school portal and the payment platform are programmed.

7. The TMAS; I have not paid or completed registration but would still do so, can i get access to it and start work on it?

ANS: NO! You can only get your TMA in the portal if and only if you have completed your exam registration. No exam registration, No TMA.

8. I have completed my registration but haven’t paid my school fees can i postpone it?

ANS: Yes you can. No Strings attached. Just make sure you don’t pay anything at all into your portal. If you do, you will lose some money to NOUN. This is how:

Every Semester, you are meant to pay a particular compulsory fee. Once you make any payment, the school will automatically deduct their compulsory fee from it and leave the balance there for you to do other things like course and exam registration. E.g. if the compulsory fee for this semester is N41,000 and you pay N50,000 into your portal, as the money lands into your portal, the system will automatically deduct N41,000 and all you will see in your portal is N9,000. This balance is what will be available for you to do other stuffs like course and exam registration. The payment process has been programmed in such a way that you cannot pay below the compulsory fee for a given semester…You can only pay exactly or above it.

Now the second part of the story is that the moment you pay the compulsory fee for a given semester, it has been marked for you that you have registered that particular semester. The next time you are ready to continue your school (maybe u didnt eventually get money to complete your registrations after paying the compulsory fee already), the school will be ready to deduct another compulsory fee again for the new semester in which u wish to continue your program. Which means the one you paid for an earlier semester is wasted. If you don’t pay anything at all, you are very free and nothing will happen…as a matter of fact, it will pause there for you to continue exactly where you stopped instead of assuming that you have marked that semester.

So in your best interest, ensure you are going to be able to complete your registration money before thinking of paying anything into your portal. If you are not yet sure of it, just save your money somewhere till its complete. And if you have paid anything already, and it is not yet complete to register the remaining courses, brother/sister, Double your hustle!

9. I have paid my school fee and completed my registration but I’m not ready to write the exam because of work and other tangible reasons, can i postpone the exam till another time?

See also  Download 2019_2 GST Exams Timetable - NOUN

ANS: Yes of course you can! NOUN is a flexible and can be paused and continued at any time.

However, the implication of this is that you will be required to pay the compulsory fee for the next semester before you can access your portal to do anything by then. Secondly, all the exams you registered will be automatically dropped and you would have to pay for each exam registration again in the next semester (or whatever semester in which you are ready to continue).

Course registrations are for life. Once done, you don’t have to do it again. But exam registration is only valid for each given semester in which u did the registration. After the given semester, the registration is void and u will pay another sum of money for that again. Another factor that might make you need to register an exam again in another semester is when u failed a course. If any course is failed, such student would not have to register the course again, but would only have to re-register the exam for that course.

Please also take note of the following:

Course registration fee for

  1. Every 1 and 2 unit course is N2,000
  2. Every 3 unit course is N2,500
  3. Every IT/SIWES and Project (Which are 6 units each) is N15,000

Exam Registration for every course cost N1,000/course regardless of the units of that course.

10. Can I postpone my admission till next semester in case I didnt meet up with the current registration till it closed?

ANS: Yes. You can continue with your schooling from another semester if u eventually could not make it for the current semester.
NOUN is a flexible institution of learning where students study at their own pace. You may decide to pause your study and continue at a later time. You can always continue from where you stopped.

11. Will NOUN graduates go for NYSC?

ANS: NOUN graduates will go for youth service according to the latest development. We still await a more detailed information in this regards. But the great news is that NOUN is now on the senate list of schools to take part in the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC). More detail on this will be disclosed soon.

Before now, NOUN graduates so far have not been going for youth service. The School had been in a very tight tussle with the NUC and NYSC over youth service. There are some few reasons why the youth service was not approved for NOUN graduates (information and rumors gathered):

(I). The population of the school is too large for the Federal Government to cater for along with the other conventional universities.

(II). The school has not been using JAMB as a form of entry requirement and only students who did JAMB (according to the initial policy) are permitted to serve. This is also the reason why students offering part time studies don’t go for service even in conventional NOUN is not an exception.

(iii) NOUN is expected to be a school for the working class and others who wish to advance or move further in their education. Hence, NYSC (which is meant for youths) is not expected of such an institution.

For the above three reasons and some other internal reasons which may not be known to us, NOUN graduates were only given exemption letters but will not participate in the NYSC exercise and service.  The exemption letter also represents the NYSC certificate but with an exemption from the normal service activities.

One major group of people who would never support NOUN graduates to serve are the Conventional University VCs because they know that if NOUN could be eventually serving, students may consider NOUN as their first option and they will no longer have students as they used to.

Click on this link:  and it will lead you to the NYSC website. Click the drop down button and you will see list of schools approved for service. National Open University of Nigeria, Abuja.


1. Question:- How will the 200 level Students (Direct entry students) write their exams, since they offer the same courses with returning students.

Registered students are qualified to write examination 8 weeks after they have intimated themselves of possessed the course materials either printed or downloaded from the internet.

2. How many years for master Programme in NOUN.?

It is flexible. Minimum of three semesters and maximum of six semesters.

3. Can you do without lectures?

Yes, attending facilitation sessions is not compulsory but you must do your Tutor Mark Assignments (TMAs) and submit as at when due.
Facilitation is done in Open and Distance Learning mode not lectures.

4. Can 100 level students take more courses from 200 level course?

Yes if the courses have no prerequisites and are available for registration.

5. Do we pay tuition fees?

No. you pay for course materials, exams and minimal registration fee

6. Can one go for master after 1st degree in conventional university?


7. What are the accrued credit units that a student should have to graduate? For example 1st Degree, Ordinary Diploma and Certificate and Masters?

For 100 level admission, a student is required to pass a minimum of 120 credit units from relevant courses;
For 200 level admission, student are required to pass a minimum of 90 credit Units from relevant courses
For PGDE, a student is required to pass minimum of 30 credit units from relevant courses;
A student is required to pass minimum of 45 credit units from relevant courses.

8. Why does the University delay in attending to change of program requests?

Delay can occur:
If request for change of programme did not contain the required information e.g. application form number, matriculation number and credentials etc.
If the request is not directed to the appropriate unit,
If you do not validate your admission.

9. When do I start my project?

You are qualified to do so by doing the pre-requisite courses. And the project title has been approved by your School.

10. How will I get in touch with a project supervisor who is in Lagos and I don’t even know him?

By email
By telephone
By courier service

11. When will those who changed their programme receive new admission letters?

After the processing is complete the students are usually given a feed back or a new admission letter as appropriate

12. May I know the duration of my programme, and how quickly I will be able to complete this programme?

Duration of programmes is clearly spelt out in the student hand book.

13. The masters programmes, are they professional or academic?

Some are professional while some are academic.

14. Many of the courses offered do not have facilitators why?

All courses are assigned to qualified persons to facilitate
Report to the Centre Director, so arrangement can be made for such courses.

15. Why is NOUN asking PGD and Masters students to register for GST courses after they have already taken most of them in their former universities?

The mode of instruction in open and distance learning is different from that used in conventional system. Thus, some of the GST courses are designed for distance learners.

16. Can a student run two programmes with NOUN?

Not concurrently

17. How many credits load is advisable for a student to carry at a time?

Maximum of 24 credit units in relevant courses.

18. How many levels can a student scale through to obtain a degree?

The entry point is 100 level while the terminal point is 400 or 500 level depending on the programme.

19. What is the minimum requirement to be admitted into NOUN?

The minimum requirement for admission is stated in the admission announcement/advertisement. see NOUN admission Requirements and how to apply

20. Do I have to pass an entry, examination or test before admission into NOUN?

No. NOUN offered admission without JAMB

21. What is the least number of courses a student can register for at a time?

See also  Update on Oracle Academy in NOUN

As many as the student can afford and cope with.

22. Why is the matriculation number given by NOUN are sometimes said to be invalid any time a student want to register online.

The followings are the possible cause of invalid Matric No. 1. If the student leave space between NOU and the number
2. If the matriculation number is wrongly typed,
3. If the newly admitted student has not performed the online clearance tasks, before clicking ‘register’ the system will not recognize the matric. No.

23. Why is the password that has been using to access my online, registration is sometimes said to be invalid?

If the student has wrongly typed the password, or there is caps lock on while his password is lower case or vice-versa, or if the student type zero in place of alphabet ‘0’. However, if problem persist, contact the ICT Department or Click on Forget Password via this link

24. How long will one stay in NOUN before getting ID cards?

Issuance of ID cards is after matriculation.

25. Why internet registration?

Internet Registration is for transparency, easy database management of student records, It also makes it registration available anytime anywhere with the principle of the ODL.

26. Can one go manually if one cannot register online?

No, you cannot go manually because NOUN education is online based.

27. Are facilitation classes mandatory?

Attendance to facilitation classes is not compulsory however it is very necessary for you to attend and you must submit all your Tutor Marked Assignments on time.

28. Can one go to the Dean directly when one has problems?

No, you have to follow the channel of communication—through your Counsellor or facilitator to Study Centre Director to the Dean

29. A part from counselling services, what other support system do you give a student who wants to carry out a project to promote the school?

Apart from counselling, project supervisors are appointed to assist such students with advice, information, referral coaching, and provision of other resource materials

30. Why are NOUN staffs insensitive to student’s problems?

Staff at the study centres is to help every student at every stage of their study in order for them to achieve their academic objectives. However when such support is not forthcoming, endeavour to see your counsellor who is there for you at any time or where the counsellor is not available or not forth coming, see the Centre Director

31. How will NOUN students be assisted and guided in their studies?

1) help the student to acquire appropriate learning and study skills that suit their learning style
2) provision of tutorial facilitation sessions
3) Helping the students to form a study groups
4) Provision of Study Counsellors who are to assist students solve their socio- psychological and academic problems and challenges
5) Availability of study materials at the centres
6) Tutors comments on every Tutor Marked Assignment submitted on time
7) Provision of facilitators whom you can contact any time you have difficulty with your study material either by phone or face to face session

8) NOUN has provided access to virtual libraries and other resource material around the world and the students can avail themselves of this opportunity
9) Study Centres have been created across the country in order to bring education to the door step of every student
10) Provision of computer laboratories, science laboratories and internship for students concern at the study centres

32. Is there special way of preparing for studying at NOUN?

Yes You must properly plan your study by putting into consideration the following
1) You must register for the courses or work load that you are capable of carrying in a semester putting into consideration your other commitments in your life
2) Financial resources available to you
3) proper budgeting of your time and management
4) Consider ways whereby other support net e.g. Family Friends can assist you
5) prioritize your social and commitment vis-à-vis your study time
5) Identify study and learning skills that are appropriate to your learning styles and learn and use them
6 ) Support staff ( Study Centre Director, Student Counsellors, Facilitators, ICT and other administrative staff ) are available at all time and ready to assist you plan your study and help you overcome socio-psychological and academic difficulties associated with studying at a distance
7) You must ensure that you acquire all the necessary study materials for every course you offer in your programmme

8) You must ensure that you study ahead and prepare very well for every facilitation session
9) Make use of other resource materials on the web or library or virtual library available to you

33. Will studying at NOUN be a lonely experience?

1) First of all you must endeavour to be in contact with your counsellor, facilitator, Study centre director or other students through phone, internet, or face to face etc.
2) make sure you belong to at least one study group and endeavour to exchange addresses and phone number and e-mail addresses with our colleagues
3) Chat forum on the web with your colleagues
4 Join social group at the study centre
5 Endeavour to visit the centre occasionally or during facilitations and interact with both staff and students as much as possible

34. Why is it that the centre can not help the student to register on-line?

If you need help, not only on registration on line, contact the Centre Student Counsellor or ICT staff in case of computer related problems.

35. Why are students not allowed to collect their course materials at the Headquarters?

Study materials are being supplied to students at study centres stores not at NOUN Headquarters’ offices.

36. Can someone go for facilitation in any Centre?


37. Is it one semester for one year?

NOUN is a semester less University. It has no
rigid semester system.

38. After a degree in NOUN will other University admit NOUN graduate for Higher Degree?

Yes, if the basic university requirement of the said University are met by the graduates.

39. What is the age barrier for admission in NOUN

No age barrier, our students are from 16 to, 78 years old for now.

40. What is Vice Chancellor’s name?

Professor Abdalla Uba Adamu

41. Are there hostel accommodations for regular and young students?

NOUN does not accommodate its students on campus. It’s a University without walls because it runs the ODL in line with our Motto: Work and Learn.

42. In future will candidates write JAMB?


43. Why is there no Campus?

There are study centres that act as campuses.

44. How does the University operate?

The Headquarters houses the Principal Officers of the University, Deans of schools and Directors. The study Centre Directors in the states represent the University at the various states. The Head of State and the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria is the Visitor to the University. The Governing Council is headed by a Pro- Chancellor. The Vice Chancellor is the overall administrative and academic Head of the University. He is in charge of day-to-day administration of the University. The Senate of the University is the highest academic organ of the University. The decisions of this body on academic matters are final.

45. Is NOUN certificate as valuable as that of conventional university?

Yes, because NOUN curricula and synopsis for all its programmes conform to NUC minimum academic standards.

46. Are all the courses accredited?

All NOUN programmes have been audited by the NUC.

47. Can NOUN certificate be used to study Master or PhD programme in a conventional university?

Yes in as much as the candidate has complied with the other requirements for admission into Postgraduate programme.

48. Some people say NUC does not recognize NOUN is it true?

This is not true. NUC recognizes NOUN as a University owned by the Federal Government of Nigeria

49. How long does it take to get study materials?

It should be immediately after you are properly registered.

50. We are adult students and many of our course materials are voluminous, is it not better for us to have areas of concentration during exams in order to enhance our performance?

No, you have to understand the entire course which is more beneficial.

51. Can someone collect materials after paying in any centre?

You should collect materials at your own study centre.

52. Is NOUN certificate acceptable by companies for a Job?


53. Can I write my examination in other Centre of NOUN?


54. Is NOUN Certificate recognised outside Nigeria?


55. To what extent are the scores given to student in TMAs and exams reliable? Can such scores be challenged?


56. Why are some TMAs not available up to the point of examination timetable being released?

If they are not provided by the Schools hosting the courses due to likelihood of setting the questions by experts outside the University.

57. Are TMAs to be submitted before or after examination

All TMAs must be submitted before examinations.

58. Why do we have to pay per semester instead of per session?

NOUN operates Pay As You Go system that afford the student the opportunity to register for courses and exam they intend to write. Student can equally pay huge amount at a go and use it gradually until he finish.

59. Are chargeable fees expected to be paid all at once?

Yes, Chargeable fees are compulsory fees which comprises of:

Caution Deposit
Matriculation fees
Library fees
I. D card fees
Registration fees

They are to be paid once on registration.

60. How much will it cost me to Study with NOUN?

This depends on the program the students choose to run.


  1. Pls, can I use my waec printout to complete my registration then I’ll get the certificate before completing my programme

  2. I didn’t register for last semester due to financial issues, and am trying to register for this semester it telling me invalid matric number, that this matric number as not been registered for this course is don’t understand, what do I do ???

  3. Good evening Mr Gbenga,pls I just saw a form now,they wrote directorate of exam and assessment application form for exam on demand on it,I just want to ask are we to fill it and where are we to submit it to and the closing date for submission please sir

  4. Good day, I, was giving admission at Noun msc information technology 2008 and I registed and wrote first semester exam. Then I traveled out and I don’t which to return back to same faculty, can I still be giving admission in MSc public health now or will the first admission alter this. I can even remember myatrix no

  5. Please I took the application form last year before the lockdown can I use it to apply now??
    Or I get another one?

  6. Hello sir… please I’ve got a friend in his final year in NOUN ( VI CENTER) on his portal for registration for the last semester.. he saw about 12 courses extra on his portal and he doesn’t know what to do. Previous semester as well they added some courses as well . Please what could be the reason and what can we do about this thanks. Would love to have more conversations as well sir if you don’t mind here’s my email:

  7. Hello sir, I was once a student of noun… I was in 300l before I change environment and couldn’t further. It’s been 7 years now, can I start from where I stopped? Or do I start afresh? .

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Back to top button